The Vienna Center for Logic and Algorithms (VCLA) at TU Wien seeks nominations for the VCLA International Student Awards 2019. The annually awarded VCLA International Student Awards for Outstanding Master and Undergraduate Research (Bachelor) Theses (or equivalent) recognize authors of scientific works across the wide spectrum of Logic and Computer Science. Extended Submission Deadline: 25.3.2019
- Outstanding Master Thesis Award: 1200 EUR
- Outstanding Undergraduate Research (Bachelor) Award: 800 EUR
- The winners will be invited to present their work at an award ceremony in Vienna, Austria.
- The degree must have been awarded between November 15th, 2017, and December 31st, 2018, (inclusive).
- Students who obtained their degree at TU Wien are excluded from the nomination.
Main areas of interest
Computational Logic, covering theoretical and mathematical foundations such as proof theory, model theory, computability theory, algorithmic lower and upper bounds, Boolean satisfiability (SAT), QBF, constraint satisfaction, satisfiability modulo theories, automated deduction (resolution, refutation, theorem proving), non-classical logics (substructural logics, multi-valued logics, deontic logics, modal and temporal logics), computational complexity and algorithms (complexity analysis, parameterized and exact algorithms, decomposition methods).
Databases and Artificial Intelligence, concerned with logical methods for modeling, storing, and drawing inferences from data and knowledge. This includes subjects like query languages based on logical concepts (Datalog, variants of SQL, XML, and SPARQL), novel database-theoretical methods (schema mappings, information extraction and integration), logic programming, knowledge representation and reasoning (ontologies, answer-set programming, belief change, inconsistency handling, argumentation, planning).
Verification, concerned with logical methods and automated tools for reasoning about the behavior and correctness of complex state-based systems such as software and hardware designs as well as hybrid systems. This ranges from model checking, program analysis and abstraction to new interdisciplinary areas such as fault localization, program repair, program synthesis, and the analysis of biological systems.
- For nomination instructions, please visit https://logic-cs.at/award-call-2019/
- Kindly address all inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Extended submission deadline: March 25, 2019 (AoE)
- Notification of decision: end of June 2019
- Award ceremony: September 2019, Vienna (Austria)
Award committee 2019
To be announced in January 2019. For the VCLA Award Committee 2018 see: http://www.vcla.at/vcla-awards/
- Robert Ganian (committee co-chair)
- Magdalena Ortiz (general chair)
- Revantha Ramanayake (committee co-chair)
The award is dedicated to the memory of Helmut Veith, the brilliant computer scientist who tragically passed away in March 2016, and aims to carry on his commitment to promoting young talent and promising researchers in these areas.